Saturday, August 08, 2009

Hidden Resilience & the Former Selves



Despite being successful in other areas of my life, the same did not hold true for managing my eating issues. In this area I was pre-programmed to fail & so as I walked in my "new shoes" I felt very insecure. I continually policed my steps, both expecting & waiting to fall down once again. Although I was committed, I was lacking in faith. My thoughts were not helful, most of them negative about any promise of success, even a short-lived one. In fact, I noticed that I was feeling worse than in other attemps when I wasn't totally committed. Finding this hard to understand,I called on my Higher Therapeutic Selves for much needed advice.

When working hypnotically, help comes very quickly...even before the question is asked, when it is just an idea of a question, rather like living with a mind-reader. I was quickly ushered to a beautiful rock garden, intermingled with bright colored flowers. I was surprised as to the number of rocks, some big & others small. As I looked closer, some rocks had dates on them, while other sparkled as if they contained inner reflective jewels. I'd never seen rocks like these before & I was immediately curious as to their origin, as well as what they were doing here on my Life path. I remember being asked to sit on the bench that was located right in the midst of the garden & one of the "dated" rocks was placed on my lap. Closer examination revealed some words that explained the origin of the rock, indicating that it represented a day in my life when I had won a skating competition.

I was instructed to tap on the rock & as I did this, the rock opened as if it had it's own door. Looking inside I could see the recorded number of falls I had taken during my early skating career, all of them leading up to being able to perfect my skating performance. Oh yes, I remembered this well. I loved skating & I honestly didn't mind falling. Even if I was hurt, I always looked forward to getting back on my skates & doing better. This young Self of mine would be very useful to me now. I truly needed her & wondered how I could get her back inside of me.

I'll share this special teaching with you in just a moment, but before that...

A NOTE TO NEW READERS:

This experiential blog/workshop is based on my new book, "How Many Cookies Will It Take to Make Me Happy?" If you are new to my writing, you might want to read the earlier mini-chapters. They are available on FaceBook, The PublishersMarketPlace & at the following link. Remember to scan down to find the earliest chapters & work your way up. http://beyonddisorderlyeating.blogspot.com/
A bit of background.... we are working with creative Interactive Self-Hypnosis imagery, planting suggestions directly into the creative subconscious mind as you read along. What appears like a story is a series of self-hypnotic sessions, designed to bring about desired lifestyle changes. The inner mind is creative & rather child-like, loving to play with images, especially when they are emotionalized. Just like the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words", well-planted mind images, can be worth hours of therapy. We can actually change or motivate in 1/200th of a second. So come along & look forward to some lifestyle-changing events.

HIDDEN RESILIENCE & THE FORMER SELVES

I came to understand that the rock garden contained a lifetime of resilience building, all of it available to me in any given moment. As I looked at the rocks, I became aware of how strong I had been throughout my life, in so many different areas. I was a fighter & a person who never gave up on things, no matter how difficult they were. How odd that I never connected any of this with my eating issues. It was like this particular part of my life had nothing, or very little to do with who I am & what I'm about. This vision was very stunning & even as I write this, I can feel an internal shift from weak to strong. My Therapeutic Teacher was encouraging me to locate more rocks & to open them. I was told that I could also enter these & communicate directly with those earlier Selves. In the beginning I thought this quite odd, but then I realized that I communicate incessantly with my old failure Selves & so why would I think this was odd? Then I realized why....my old addictive Self simply didn't want me to gain the strength I had available to me, because with every ounce of strength I gained, that destructive part of me became weaker.

I was curious as to how I could engage my past strengths & as before, the answer came before the question was formulated. It became clear that simply by remembering & becoming engaged with the resilient imagery, the power was simply available to me. These were now "new triggers"....stepping stones instead of tripping stones.


Copyright 2009 Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht
May not be copied or reproduced without permission of the author.

Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, C.Ht is author of Sugar...the Hidden Eating Disorder & How to Lick It. She is also the writer/producer of over 350 mp3/CD programs in the areas of medicine, health, prevention, addictions, self-development & sports for adults & children.

http://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.bohorquez
http://www.twitter.com/elizRN

http://www.hypnosis-audio.com
http://www.sugar-addiction.com
http://www.international-medical-health-writers